Wednesday 18 January 2012

Post 7: Training

How can one begin to learn about contemporary approaches without prior rejection or accepting of other approaches? I want to remain cautious not to join in the cultural shift towards contemporary FT without practising more traditional approaches. Solution Focussed was once contemporary after all, I don;t want to reject it based on chronicity, but instead (if indeed I do) reject it based on experience of and personal application of it's core principals. Therefore, would MSc Trainees not therefore be better trained by purposely practicing all approaches? With issues of power, it feels rocky ground for me to practice approaches (say Strategic), but clinicians across time have practiced this, some felt less comfortable and therefore other new ways of thinking have emerged. I don't want to skip this transition of thinking, can I not squeeze 60 odd years of FT into 2 years?!

No comments:

Post a Comment