Tuesday 10 January 2012

Post 3: Cancelled Family session

These hours in clinic kills me. I'm all excited and feeling ready to go in to the systemic space and I get to hear my family have cancelled. Fair reason and a family I feel can be easily rearranged. I therefore have to find an exercise to do with my colleagues.

Last week the same happend. I used 4 descriptions of questions (Reflexive, Linear, Strategic and Circular) as proposed by Karl Tomm *. I asked my group to role play my family and spent approx 15 minutes thinking as a Lineal purist, a Reflexive purist etc. The exercise went down well, so this week how do I trump it??

In fact we did a new exercise. Polarise "Agree" & " Disagree" - using labels on the floor. Then pick out statements from a pack of cards e.g. "Arranged marriages have greater success" and place where on the scale you fit - Disagree, Agree or somewhere in between. Each discuss, differ, argue for/against and just introduce the sense that its good to thrash out differences. The exercise was done warm heartedly and it got the old grey matter working.




* Interventive Interviewing: Part 111. Intending to Ask Lineal, Circular, Strategic or Reflexive Questions? Fam Poc 27:1-15 1988
* The effect of Tomm's Therapeutic Questioning Styles on Therapeutic Alliance: A Clinical Analog Study. Fam Process 37: 189 -200, 1998. Dozier, Hicks, Cornille, Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment